I have got an offer to study at UPM. How can I apply for a student visa from my country?  

Before coming to Malaysia, you have to apply online for your student visa through the EMGS website: A guide to filling the forms is given in Please note that there is no way to save the online application form information. The application must be made in one session, or otherwise, the website may log you out. Make sure that you give yourself enough time for the visa application process. The visa approval is expected to take approximately two months to process. The students may contact EMGS or our office for any inquiry they may have about the application process. For more information on the visa application process flow, you may refer to our website at

What is VAL?

All students studying at Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM) are required to apply for a Student Pass (student visa). Before being eligible for applying for a student visa (Student Pass), students must apply for an electronic Visa Approval Letter (eVAL) through EMGS (Education Malaysia Global Services). A Visa Approval Letter or VAL is a letter issued by the Malaysian Immigration Department when the student pass approval application is successful. An eVAL is an Electronic Visa Approval Letter which will be issued as a soft copy through the EMGS system instead of a physical VAL. 

What is the validity of the Visa Approval Letter (VAL)?

The Visa Approval Letter is valid for six (6) months from the date of issue. If you have not arrived in Malaysia within this validity period, you will need to reapply and pay the visa fee again.

What is a Single Entry Visa (SEV)?

Single Entry Visa (SEV) with VAL reference is an entry visa required for selected nationalities entering Malaysia as a student. It is a stamp in your passport that the Malaysian Embassy in your home country issues after you submit your VAL. Please visit the Immigration website to find out on the list of selected nationalities who are required to have the Single Entry Visa (SEV) to enter Malaysia. Note that Malaysia Immigration Department (MID) will not issue the Student Pass to you without the Single Entry Visa (SEV) stamp from the Malaysian Embassy on your passport.

Can I use a social pass to study?  

It is illegal to study in Malaysia under a social/tourist pass. The university strongly discourages the use of Social Visa to enter Malaysia before receiving your VAL.  

What is Student Pass?    

Student Pass (student visa) is a document which is required for all international students when they undertake full-time study in Malaysia. It is an endorsement given in his or her passport while the student is studying in an educational institution in Malaysia.

How long is the student pass valid?    

The Department of Immigration issues Student Passes for a maximum of 12 months, or if the course duration is less than 12 months the Pass will be for the duration of the course.

What is a Multiple Entry Visa (MEV)?  

International students with a Student Pass will be given a Multiple Entry Visa. With this visa, students will be allowed to enter and leave Malaysia for the duration of the validity of their Student Pass.

I apply for visa through EMGS and I requested 3 years but they issue me the VAL with one year only.

The authority to grant the duration of student visa is with the Malaysian Department of Immigration. They may grant the duration of the student visa between 1 year to the maximum duration stated in the offer letter.

I don't want one year because I will travel out of Malaysia and do my work and research from abroad, so it will be difficult for me to renew the visa very year and I need to come and waste one month or two weeks only for visa renewal.

Students need to renew their Student Pass (student visa) before it expires in order to study legally in Malaysia. If the student happens to be away from Malaysia and the Student Pass has expired for three (3) months or less, the student will be able to enter Malaysia with a Social Pass and apply for renewal once he/she is in Malaysia. However, the student has to apply for a new VAL if the Student Pass has expired for more than three months.    

How can I apply as an exchange student?

Interested students can download the Inbound Application form from our website  and attach the following documents:  

  • a) Acknowledgment of nomination from the home university.
  • b) Recommendation letter from the home university.
  • c) Certified copies of academic transcripts (subjects/courses that have been completed).
  •   and email the documents to or

    What is the application deadline for exchange students?

    Application is open throughout the year. For mobility semester exchange students normally official intake will be in February and September. Semester 1 (September) – 30 April Semester 2 (February) – 30 September .   However during current situation of  COVID-19 2021, the semester have been shifted to March (semester 1) and October (semester 2) and application will need to be submitted 3 month before semester begins.

    How many courses can/should I take?

    Since it is non-graduating programme, credit transfer may be arranged (subject to terms and condition) upon completion of the program. However, we would suggest for students to take minimum of 3 courses/semester.    

    What is the language instruction?    

    All courses are conducted in English

    How can I find a room?  

    For on campus accommodation, there is an option of UPM Guest House (based on availability) and dormitory (sharing basis).  You may place your booking or make enquiries to 

    How about travel and health insurance?      

    All mobility students must purchase travel and health insurance from home country prior to travelling UPM. If the mobility student is staying for more than 3 months in Malaysia, then they must purchase an insurance from a Malaysian Iinsurer. They can select the insurance from the EMGS system when they apply for the Mobility Student Pass.

    Do I need a visa/residence permit and if so how can I apply?      

    Participating students are responsible to obtain appropriate visa and entry documents prior to their departure. The Putra International Centre will facilitate the participating students on the documents required.   

    Can I get a scholarship?    

    We do not provide any scholarship for mobility student coming to UPM.

    What about financial matters?      

    All financial expenses should be covered by each student or home university.

    What program is available for UPM student to go abroad?

    Short Term Program (A program with a duration minimum of 5 – 30 days such as Summer School, and visits, ) and Long Term Program (Consists of One/Two-semester study abroad, Internship Abroad, and research attachment up to 12 months).

    Can I go for semester exchange during the pandemic?

    This situation will depend on the country that you wish to go, your programme will also need to receive approval from the Student Mobility Committee chaired by the Deputy Vice Chancellor of Academics and Internationals.

    Who can participate?

    All UPM students are eligible to participate in the UPM Outbound Program, however you will need to meet a number of requirements by the end of the semester in which you apply. Check for Eligibility for further information.

    When should I apply?

    Application must be made at least 6 months prior program or no later than 3 months prior program.

    How do I apply?

    To submit an application, please complete the following steps:

  • Check your eligibility
  • Choose a host university
  • Budget for your exchange
  • Contact an academic advisor from your faculty to discuss your study plan
  • Create a study plan
  • Complete an application form
  • Submit your study plan and application form by the appropriate deadline to i-PUTRA
  • 25
    Which host university is right for me?

    Choosing a host university is a personal decision that will depend on what you study, and what you wish to get out of the experience. You may find the following resources helpful as you research your host institution and country:

  • Academic advisers or staff from your faculty
  • Host university websites
  • Past and present exchange students testimonials
  • i-PUTRA Mobility officer
  • 26
    Do I have to speak a foreign language to study in a non-English speaking country?

    Not necessarily. Many exchange partners in non-English speaking countries offer courses taught in both English and the native language of that country. Please visit the host university web page to find out if they offer courses in English.

    How much does it cost to go on exchange

    While costs will differ depending on where you go, your plans and your spending habits, on average we recommend that students have between RM3000 – RM7000 per semester of exchange. Visit host university website for the estimated cost of living in your host country.

    What scholarships are available for students going on exchange? 

    There are a limited number of scholarships and grants offered by host institutions every year. However, ASEAN International Mobility for Students (AIMS) program’s scholarship which available every year (field: Economics and Management, Food Technology, Forestry, Agriculture, and Environment). Through AIMS students are able to get scholarship grants up to RM15,000.00 (depending on the country).   At UPM, there are other international scholarships made available (depending on MoU/MoA’s activation) such as MEVLANA Protocol and ERASMUS+.

    Do I have to pay tuition to the host university while I’m on exchange?

    While you are on exchange, you will continue to pay tuition fees to UPM. Most partners institution will waived the tuition fee at host university. However, some partner university requires tuition fee and please check with the host university on this pertinent.

    What happens if I go for a semester and want to stay longer?

    Exchanges can only be for a maximum of two semesters at any one exchange partner. If you originally planned to stay for one semester, but want to stay for an additional semester, you will need to inform our outbound mobility officer and state your plan.

    Do I need student visa? 

    It’s compulsory if you are going for mobility which the duration is beyond 30 days. The application and cost for a student visa are borne by the student and check with the host university or embassy for further details on how to apply.

    When can I go on exchange?

    Applicants must complete at least one semester in UPM and not in a final semester during the program. You can study in exchange for 1 or 2 semesters. Most partner universities operate on a two-semester system with semester dates typically being September to December (Semester 1) and February to May (Semester 2).

    Can I study overseas in my last semester of my degree?


    Updated:: 28/12/2022 []

    PUTRA International Centre (i-PUTRA)
    Universiti Putra Malaysia
    43400 UPM Serdang
    Selangor Darul Ehsan
    +603-9769 7972